D is For Do-Over

There aren’t too many things in this life that we can ‘do over.’  It’s not like a computer game where we can push the restart button and proceed; this time, of course, knowing the pitfalls and the previous mistakes that we made

In this case my Do-Over is of something of relative inconsequence.

This past January I made a small art quilt to go along with our Haiku prompt “Exhilaration”.  I was pleased with some aspects of my quilt.  For instance, I thought the quilting was terrific (even if I do say so myself, lol), there was considerable texture (I had experimented with light molding paste) and the colors were bold and beautiful.

But the composition was awful to my critical eye and I wasn’t happy with it.

Here’s the original:

Original Exhilaration Quilt

See what I mean?

So here’s what I did.

I needed to break up the huge expanse of yellow and somehow integrate the various elements.  So I painted some fusible web, cut it out, burned the edges with my multi heat tool and applied some of it to the quilt.

Then I printed the Haiku on Extravorganza, fringed the edges and painted them. Then affixed the Haiku to the quilt with BoNash.

Here’s my do-over.  Please let me know what you think?  How would you have proceeded?  I’m really interested in your comments.

Exhilaration The Re-Do

I’ve Got Lips – Art Quilt using Extravorganza

I love doing these journal quilts – what a wonderful way to try new techniques. For “I’ve Got Lips” above I first did a pieced background and quilted it. Then I drew and cut out appliques of various “lips” – with a variety of pink and red fabrics. (I had to add paint to get the right color a couple of times) I looked for as many “lip” quotes as I could find and printed them out in various fonts using ExtravOrganza in my inkjet printer. I then cut out the sayings, frayed the edges and painted each one using a fabric marker. I adhered them to the quilt with a clear fabric glue.
Lips Detail

Hardy Rosebuds Thrive – January Haiku Art

My goal was to illustrate nature’s propensity to new beginnings in the face of adversity.

A secondary goal was to try some new creative techniques or materials.

Lutradur – burned edges, stamped and painted with pearl-ex
Angelina fibers – stamped
Rosebud photos printed on cotton, appliqued and thread painted.
Purchased leafy vine appliqued
Haiku printed on Extravorganza – edges fringed and painted
Scattered beads
Sheer tulle layered over the piece
Layered and quilted
Edges finished with  zigzag stitch