A Project That Has Me Working Overtime and Wanting to Share

The rest of the title should be…And catching up with Haiku Art.  I am woefully behind BUT I have excuses.  The dog ate my quilt?

Let’s see, the November word just was announced – it is Gnarled.  I mean the word is “gnarled”.  October was Canopy (I’m working on the art – at least in my mind) and September was Rhapsody.

Finally Rhapsody is well on its way.

Here is the Background that I’m so excited about…

It is collaged ribbons and fibers on tulle.  I just washed out all the stabilizer and it’s dry and ready for the next step.

Stay tuned!

In Her Element

This was such a fun quilt to make. It contains so many different techniques and required so many design decisions that I thought it would be a good one to blog on.

I started this quilt in a workshop about using Lutradur. We did several kinds of painting on Lutradur and incorporated some stamping. I had a piece that I painted in shades of blue Lumiere – thinking ahead to using the finished product in an art quilt with an underwater theme.

I was in MY element being able to conjure up a variety of embellishments to use on this piece.

My favorite is the kelp. I used a pipe cleaner (aka fuzzy wuzzy wire) as the base and wound some yarn from my knitting leftover bag around it. Then I was able to bend the piece the way I wanted it and couched it to the background.

The dark purple fish was made ‘offline’ with some underfabric, netting and a lot of thread painting, then attached to give a slightly 3D look.

The coral was a lot of fun to make. First I painted some lutradur and created the coral shapes with a heat tool. I just burned away to get the shapes that I wanted then stitched them down.

A variety of threads were used in the quilting including my favorite bling thread – #30 Madeira .

 

 

 

 

All the beading was done by hand.

I finished the quilt with a traditional hand stitched binding.